Monday, October 3, 2016

LESSON 22 - GRATITUDE

Principle 7:  Reserve a daily time with God for self-examination, Bible reading, and prayer in order to know God and His will for my life and to gain the power to follow His will.

Step 11:  We sought through prayer and meditation to improve our conscious contact with God, praying only for knowledge of His will for us and power to carry that out.

"Let the message of Christ dwell among you richly."  Colossians 3:16

1.  Why do you think it's important for you to maintain an "attitude of gratitude" in your recovery?
Focusing on gratitude for all that we DO have, prevents us from focusing on what we don't have or where we've been, or what we've done.  It reminds us that God has forgiven us for our past misgivings, and we owe it to Him to forgive ourselves, focus on the positive, and move forward in our journeys.


2.  In what three areas of your recovery are you especially thankful for God's power?  Try to think of areas of growth or positive change in you that only God could have accomplished.

a.  My marriage - no doubt it's a God thing! Without His power and contribution, there'd not only be no marriage, but I might even be in jail for having been forced to beat him silly :)

b.  My food and weight issues.  This was my year, and trust me I've tried over and over and over and over.  So the only thing different this time was GOD!  HE did it.  He gets all the glory!

c.  Self will.  I still have plenty of it, but I'm so humbled by the changes I do see.  I lean on God much more than I ever did before.  I trust Him, I look to him to show me answers and the right path to take. My relationship with Him is deeper and more intimate than ever before, and for that I am truly grateful.


3.  Name three people God has placed in your recovery who you are grateful for and why.

a.  Just three?  Jeez.  OK ... 1) my sponsor.  She's honest and to the point, she encourages me and never judges me.  She is always available when I need her, and gives me room to breathe when I need it. And she is a glowing role model of a God-fearing woman who gives honor and glory to God in all areas of her life!

b.  My BFF, who decided to do this recovery program along side me.  She has never ceased to support me, even when I whine and moan. She holds me accountable and helps me to see the other side of a situation and to find gratitude even when I don't believe there is any.

c.  This entire step study group - I have been impacted and affected by each and every one of you, and my life is forever changed :)


4.  What three areas of your recovery ministry, small groups, or other events are you thankful for? Why?

a.  The homework - that's where the hard work and big payoff comes from!  Reflection.

b.  Acceptance and no judgment.

c.  Testimonies. Learning from others and putting things into perspective.


5. List three things that you are thankful for in your church.  Be specific.

a.  The worship band.  Our music is amazing and creates an atmosphere welcoming to the Holy Spirit, and allows God to fill our church with His presence.

b.  The welcoming of everybody here!  For such a large church, it's amazing that I've never felt like a number.

c.  The CR Ministry.


Congratulations!  You have just completed your first gratitude list.  Review it.  How does it make you feel?


 Let the individuals on your list know what an impact they have had on your recovery, and thank each of them personally!

1 comment:

  1. If you're trying to lose weight then you certainly have to get on this brand new custom keto meal plan diet.

    To produce this keto diet, certified nutritionists, personal trainers, and professional cooks joined together to provide keto meal plans that are efficient, decent, money-efficient, and delightful.

    From their first launch in early 2019, thousands of individuals have already remodeled their body and health with the benefits a good keto meal plan diet can offer.

    Speaking of benefits: clicking this link, you'll discover 8 scientifically-confirmed ones offered by the keto meal plan diet.

    ReplyDelete