Tuesday, October 18, 2016

LESSON 23 - GIVE



1.  What does Matthew 10:8 - "Freely you have received; freely give" - mean to you?

It means that I didn't do anything to deserve being forgiven and restored to a new life.  I was given that gift by God, just because he loves me that much.  God sacrificed His son for me, and He gives me everything that I have, because he is full of grace, love, and mercy, and He deserves all the glory. As His child, I am to pass that generosity and love on to others, for no reason other than that I am to be like Jesus.


2.  How has your attempt to put God first in your life changed your understanding of the word "give"?

It has made me realize that the important things in life aren't about what I have or how much I have, they're about spending time with the people who matter to me, about sharing myself and serving others, about spending each day seeking a closer relationship with Jesus.  Putting God first has made me want to focus more on simplifying my life, freeing up time so that I can devote myself to what's important.


3.  Ecclesiastes 4:9 tells us that "two are better than one."  List specific instances in your own recovery that you have seen this verse in action.

a. My husband inviting me to the New Hope 1-year CR celebration and opening my eyes to the program.
b. My sponsor always being there to lend an ear and help me through the hard stuff.
c. Kim Feld and the other leaders being available to listen and provide guidance, no matter what the topic!


4.  What are some of your recent victories that you could share with a newcomer?

a.  Completing this study!
b.  Letting go of my control (perceived) over my weight and turning it over to God in 2016, and losing 50# and conquering my obsession with food!  It no longer controls me!
c.  Letting go of my need to always correct my husband.  Most of the time my pointing it out doesn't change the bottom line and just causes resentment between us.  I've learned to keep quiet most of the time, and life is much more peaceful.


5.  In James 1:22 we are told to be "doers of the Word."  How can you be a doer of the Word:

- among family and friends?
By letting my actions match my words, by living out God's principles and demonstrating a heart of love, kindness, acceptance, and forgiveness.  Make amends when I hurt someone else.  Keep my commitments.

- in your recovery group?
By supporting my CR sisters in their struggles and victories, not passing judgment, and letting God's light shine through me.

- in your church?
By serving others.  And everything above.

- on the job?
Trickier, only because of politics.  BUT - pretty much everything else I've said, just not so much discussion about religion proper.

- in your community?
Hmmmmmm.


1 comment:

  1. As stated by Stanford Medical, It is really the ONLY reason this country's women get to live 10 years longer and weigh an average of 19 KG lighter than we do.

    (And really, it is not about genetics or some secret diet and absolutely EVERYTHING about "HOW" they are eating.)

    BTW, What I said is "HOW", not "WHAT"...

    Click this link to uncover if this short questionnaire can help you decipher your real weight loss potential

    ReplyDelete