Thursday, August 4, 2016

LESSON 14 - READY

Principle 5:  Voluntarily submit to every change God wants to make in my life and humbly ask Him to remove my character defects.

"Happy are those whose greatest desire is to do what God requires."  Matthew 5:6

Step 6:  We were entirely ready to have God remove all these defects of character.

"Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will lift you up."  James 4:10

1.  Have you released control? (If not, review Principle 3).

Most of it.  Some of it.  LOL.  As human beings, do we ever REALLY release all of our control?  Even if we think we do?  Self will is a powerful force.  Maybe some people do.  I wouldn't say I'm there yet.  But I'm working on it.

a.  List the areas of your life that you have been able to turn over and surrender to Jesus Christ.

My marriage.  My recovery.  My job.  My home.  My hope.  My health.  My relationships.  My eating.

b.  List the areas of your life that you are still holding on to, attempting to control them on your own power.

Some of my finances.  Some of my decision-making.  My need to control some people, some situations, sometimes.

2.  What does the phrase, "easy does it" mean to you?  What area of your recovery are you attempting to rush - looking for the "quick fix."

Easy does it means that I need to be patient with myself during the process.  I didn't get this way overnight, and I won't change overnight.  By allowing myself time to walk the journey, I can better identify the root causes of the issues I struggle with, therefore enabling me to better conquer them for good!  I'm not trying to rush anything, I'm perfectly happy with this pace.

3.  Explain the differences in seeing a need for change and being entirely ready to accept positive change in your recovery.

Accepting change is a much harder process.  Reminds me of the saying, "easier said than done."  It is much easier to SEE that a change needs to be made, whether that is in ourselves, or relationships, our jobs.  It is an entirely different animal to be willing to ACCEPT the change and take steps toward making it happen.  That requires significantly more vulnerability and selflessness.

4.  It is very important that you allow God to replace your character defects with positive changes.  What are some of the positive changes that you could make in your recovery?  In your family?  In your job?

I need to continue making positive changes - I doubt that will ever not be the case - I need to look to God more, pray more, lean in more often, and continue to practice grace when people upset or disappoint me, whether that is at home or at work.

5.  Sometimes it is difficult for us in recovery to see the positive changes that God is making in our lives.  Have you been able to accept and enjoy your growth?  How?

I've made numerous positive changes, and the effects of those changes are easily apparent in my life.  I have been consistent in my eating and workout journey since January and have lost 45#!  I feel better about myself, more confident and comfortable in my own skin, and much more willing to accept my imperfections.  I have replaced much of my social activity with things at or involving the church.  I volunteer my time, energy, and finances more than ever before - to include tithing - which is a BIG deal for me, and it feels really good!  I have definitely noticed that I'm growing more reliant upon God, I talk to him more often, I thank him more often for even the little things, and I am constantly reminded that He works all things for my good, even when those things don't happen in MY time or the way I want them to :)

1 comment: